Baby Holland: The third trimester

Leave a Comment

We officially have a fully cooked baby on board as 37 weeks is considered 'full term' and we're now at week 38 and knowing she could come at anytime so thought this was a good opportunity to get this last part written down before baby had landed! It's the oddest thing waiting for something so huge to happen but not knowing quiet how and when it will happen. The third trimester has certainly been interesting... for me the first trimester was definitely still the worst - although the third has lots more challenges to overcome and is hard in a whole different way. I've found the exhaustion from those first few months has truly returned but it's so much harder to sleep at night, trying to get comfortable, the multiple trips to the toilet mixed with the general feeling of feeling uncomfortable and very heavy all the time.

Symptoms
From about 28 weeks I was suffering with extreme lower back pain on the right side and I've never experienced anything quite like that before. I was so slow at walking even though I felt I had a little more energy at this period of time so it was definitely rubbing salt into the wound. I felt pain on every step and for about three weeks I winced every time I moved. I had been having normal aches and pains in my back for a while but this was agony. I tried various different things to help ease it, acupuncture, pregnancy massage and warm baths but it just didn't seem to help. I was also experiencing some night leg cramps in my right leg at this time too and the tightness and pain would stay in the leg for about 5 days and really exasperated all the aches on that side when I had to walk or move. Then suddenly one morning I just woke up and felt pretty much normal and could walk without pain and much faster. I'm unsure if maybe this was to do with my sciatica nerve or baby's position but I was so so happy to feel more myself again. 

I found myself getting fuller quicker as all my organs squished together as baby Holland grew in size. The last couple of weeks though annoyingly I'm finding I'm getting hungrier again (hoped my weight gain had seized by now wah!) and can eat more comfortably which I'm hoping means she has dropped/ partly engaged now getting - herself ready to be born but who knows maybe I've just turned into a little piggy again. I have been getting occasional fanny daggers (as lovely as they sound!) and feeling much more pressure down below in both my pelvis and bum which is also meant to suggest that she has dropped. 

Acid reflux (ew) touch wood I've not had awful indigestion or heartburn recently but for weeks I've had that burning post being sick type feeling in my throat/ chest and the only thing that seems to help it is chewing gum or having it in my mouth constantly. There's been quite a few occasions I had to fall asleep with it still in there and hoping it doesn't fall out of my mouth and get stuck in my hair or something during the night! I also made my throat hella sore by coughing when it was at it's worse and I noticed I had tonsil stones and kept trying to remove them with a cotton bud or clean finger again further scratching up my throat - so I suggest you don't do this!

I had my whooping cough vaccine and felt fine for a week then had a delayed reaction where my arm was so heavy, hurt to lift or move in certain angles and really unpleasant to sleep on this seemed to also last about 2-3 weeks and even now occasionally when I move it I'll feel that pain in my muscle. I've had my flu jab today so hoping I don't get a similar reaction and  also hope that bubba stays in a little longer so that the vaccine can work it's way into her blood stream too.  

Third trimester highlights
Firstly the main highlight for me is the fact that things started to feel all that bit more 'normal' and we were able to see people easier and catch up much more with family and friends.




4D Bonding Scan
This was probably one of my favourite days as we went to Columbia road flower market for the first time since lockdown before our scan in the morning and then after it we went to my parents for my Mums birthday and I spent the night and quality time with my Mum, Dad and Sister, so I have a really nice glowing feeling whenever I think of this day. My parent's treated us to a 4D bonding scan as they knew how upset and hard it had been for us not sharing the experience. Matt could attend and be by my side, holding my hand throughout. It was so special and knowing now how amazing and in-depth they are, even if Matt had been able to be at all my appointments and scans I would still definitely do a 4D private. Seeing your baby move in real time, reacting and to have video footage you can save is just really incredible. 

Baby shower
I might not of had the baby shower or gathering that I had imagined and I had to plan the majority of it whilst not knowing if or how it could go ahead. In an ideal world my Mum, Sister and some of my friends would have had a bigger input to make it a special day and surprise. We ended up having to do it in two halves having a few people who are family friends and Essex based as well as my Mum, Sister and best friend at my parent in laws garden for nibbles, nosecco, a couple of silly games and catching up after months of not seeing each other. We were super lucky with the weather (if not a bit too hot!) Then later on in the evening we had a few of my London based friends and my friend who travelled down from the Lake district over for the evening of cake, drinks, photos, games and chatting. I had been wavering between feeling like I didn't really want to do anything but Matt persuaded me that it would still be nice to celebrate and we got to share the whole day together which made it that much more special.

Change of scenery
Our first trip away since Lockdown and we found a beautiful secluded wood cabin in the middle of nowhere in a field on Air Bnb. We spent our time visiting the nearby Winchester, Matt found a cute quiet beach to sit in the sun for an afternoon and we went home via the New Forest to see the beautiful wild horses. It was so restorative to get away from our home and relax in such a calming setting, to escape our home after being stuck indoors for so long and to be away from London in general. We appreciated it that much more after not being able to do it for so long and hope to never take it for guaranteed again. 



Babymoon
We went on our last trip as a two at the beginning of this month. This time we found a lovely little shepherds hut in Kent on Canopy and stars. We were very lucky with the weather and managed some trips to some of our favourite Kent places like Margate, Botany Bay and Whitstable. On our last morning the owner of the hut took us on a short pregnancy friendly Llama trek through the woods, we also had a funny time to herd and get some rescued chickens back into a coop! It felt quite bitter sweet knowing that this was the last trip we would be taking just as Jaymie and Matt I think especially heightened after the year we've had and all the things missed out on.

Fake-versary
We celebrated our wedding anniversary a month early on 12th September as our very special delivery is due around the real date. We spent the morning in East London, looking around Broadway market, enjoying a coffee at Diddy's and some short walks through London fields and Clissold park before we picked up a cake as we treated ourselves to a beautiful coven bakery one (vegan spiced chai, so good) which we enjoyed with coffee at home. We exchanged some small presents, but this years real present is the biggest I probably will ever make or give hehe. 

The final countdown
We started re-watching our hypnobirthing course making sure to work moreon the relaxation techniques as due date approaches. I try to play a track every time I have a bath as well and when practicing some breathing techniques. I found when I did it early on it got me in such a good place with feeling positive and looking forward to the birth experience but as time creeps forward and the big day approaches I started feeling more wobbly about the unknown, I'm a mix of excited and nervous for our new life and the monumental change which I know is very normal too. I know I'm stronger then I believe, capable and have a body that has made and sustained our baby during pregnancy and was made to do this though!

We started doing perenial massage from 35 weeks, it's definitely not the sexiest or most seductive thing we've ever done together (I like to call it fingering with purpose haha!) it's recommended to help try stretch and build up more resilience so that when that crowning of the head happens hopefully it will prevent or not cause as much tearing. It's really helpful to help practice the down breathing and relaxing your pelvic floor muscles which I'm hoping will help me ease up during internal examinations as well as I know what I need to do mentally to make it not as unpleasant!

I've been drinking at least 2-3 cups of raspberry leaf tea for last few weeks and Matts picked up some packets of dates and pineapple (which is one of my favourite fruits anyways) all things which aren't necessarily meant to help bring on labour but are more to help soften the cervix and make it work more effectively during contractions in hopes for a shorter labour - even if it's only a placebo it's quite fun to do all these old wives tales, we will definitely be partaking in more of them!

Towards the end of September we are effectively self isolating, not seeing friends or family or going  into shops (only very late at night if needs be) etc, just to help eliminate being in close proximity to people and strangers whilst allowing us to really wind down, conserve energy and watching feel good movies.

When you find out your pregnant you have the whole pregnancy and 9 months ahead of you and I just couldn't imagine or think this far ahead at that early stage. This journey has zoomed by as has the year which I find strange as would have thought Covid, lockdown and the fact  we did so much less then we had planned or would have done. 

From about 35 weeks I have found myself worrying so much more about everything. Thinking every little thing is a sign of labour (constant sense of being on edge and on the lookout) wanting her to just be here now but also wondering if I'm ready, worried about our baby's health, our health - the rise in cases and more restrictions being added really doesn't help. I still can't really picture actually going into labour either (I guess because I've never experienced it before!) or delivering our baby and it's so strange. I thought by now I may have started to have stress dreams - I had these in the weeks leading up to our wedding but I haven't really dreamt that much about pregnancy or our baby (it would have been nice to have pictured her more and experience pleasant dreams about her though) especially during this trimester, I remember having very vivid and whacky dreams in the first and second tri. 


If you want to catch up on my first trimester and second trimester blog post click the titles. I found these types of diary posts really helpful and interesting when I found out I was pregnant and it's something I also wanted to get down for myself to look back on and remember all those little details. Not long to go now... if you follow me on Instagram you'll be able to catch up on more of these last few days/ weeks. 

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig