Vegan Lemon Baked Donuts
GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF STARTS TOMORROW CLAXON! It's pretty silly how excited I am over the return of one Paul, Mary, Mel and Sue and all the hopeful bakers. I rarely watch much television (sticking to Netflix and Arconai) but there's a feel-good-warming-comfort vibe to GBBO which makes me want to grab a cuppa, sit down with my loved ones and watch it.
These donuts are quick, easy and probably will be my go-to or a version of for our bake off treat, it's pretty agonising watching without a piece of cake or biscuit, amiright?
Preparation time - 25 minutes
Cook time - 15 minutes
A 'healthier' alternative to a Donut, not fried but baked, not laden with sugar, the agave nectar sweetens the mixture… ok the topping is icing sugar in it but it is a sweet treat after all.
1 Cup plain flour
1/3 Cup agave nectar
1 1/2 Tsp baking powder
1/4 Tsp salt
1/2 cup soya milk
1/4 cup non dairy butter
Egg replacement powder
Zest of one lemon
For the glaze
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
1. First of all you need to preheat your oven to 180 C.
2. Mix two table spoons of the egg replacement powder (I use Orgran No Egg, sold at Holland and Barrett) with some warm water, I add little by little 'til I get a consistency of whipped egg white.
2. Mix the lemon zest, agave nectar, egg replacer and milk.
3. Add the flour, butter, baking powder and salt. Mix well so all is combined but do not over mix.
4. I use this donut mould, using either non-dairy butter or a spray oil coat the tray so it is easier to remove once cooked, spoon some mixture into each - it will make about 15-20 using this.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, let them sit in the mould until cooled a little.
7. Mix lemon juice and powdered sugar until all lumps are broken up, dip the cooled donuts in the glaze, you can decorate if you wish with sprinkles, lemon zest etc. Let excess icing drip off and leave to dry.
8. Then eat eat eat, best when fresh!